Programming on a Mac
What does it take to turn a Mac into a decent programming environment?
I’ve already installed Xcode from the App store, but I need some editors, compilers and version control.
- XTerm2 - terminal with neat features like replay (scrolling meets TimeMachine!)
- Emacs (Aquamacs) - an editor
- VIM - another editor (not actually installed yet - will need to build from source)
- GitX (Laullon fork) - GUI for GIT distributed version control system
- HomeBrew - an alternative to Mac Ports (haven’t decided which I prefer)
- Scala - programming language
- brew install scala
- First time you run ‘scala’ it installs a JDK
- Haskell - programming language
- brew install ghc
- brew install haskell-platform
- ReStructuredText - converts traditionally formatted text files to HTML
- sudo easy_install pip
- sudo pip install docutils
Written on December 16, 2012. The opinions expressed are my own views and not my employer's.